USU is the only university in the state that offers a degree in agribusiness. Agribusiness is concerned with the financing, marketing, and management of food production.
Agribusiness is an important field because ag-related industry, from farming and livestock to food production and human nutrition, encompasses a significant portion of careers worldwide. Additionally, the field of agriculture has historically differed from other business sectors in that government intervention in the form of taxes, trade barriers, etc., have always played a role in agricultural businesses. Therefore, students in the program study problems and issues unique to agribusiness industries.
Because students gain a solid foundation in business, they can work in the broad field of business, but their agricultural knowledge and qualifications allow them to specialize in agribusiness careers.
With a relatively small faculty, and a low student-to-teacher ratio, students are guaranteed individualized attention. Most of the faculty members in the College of Agriculture have national and international experience that helps them bring a global perspective to the class. Students have the opportunity to do research in labs and in the field.
Students can also earn a dual degree (meaning students graduate with two separate degrees) in agribusiness and agricultural systems technology. There is also a composite degree offered by the ASTE Department. The difference is that students in the dual major take higher-level math classes and theoretical economics classes.
Emphases (an emphasis is not required)
- Agricultural Finance - Learn about agriculture lending and understanding financial statements and the management of a firm.
- Agricultural Marketing - Learn how to trade commodities and merchandise products in the agribusiness industry.
- Farm and Ranch Management - Gain skills to own or manage an agriculture production enterprise or firm.
- International Agribusiness - Understand and be a part of the complex global agriculture complex that feeds and clothes the world.
With a degree in agribusiness, students can pursue the following careers:
- Commercial bank operations
- Commodities trader
- Food marketing and sales
- Agricultural input marketing and sales
- Insurance sales and adjusting
- Agribusiness manager
- Farm and ranch management
- Stock and commodity brokerage
Career Services provides counseling and information on hundreds of job and internship opportunities and even helps students apply and interview.
Select degrees and programs are not available at all Utah State University locations. Please contact a regional campus advisor to verify program availability.If you are intending to complete this program online outside the state of Utah, please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state.